PATRICK McILVANE succeeded his father, Gilbert, October 25, 1547, and became Laird of Grimmet for the years, 1547 to 1613. The estates at this time included Upper Grimmet, Lower or Nether Grimmet and Attiquin. The records of Frank McElvain list the children of Patrick and Isobel Kennedy as John (m Jane Corry), Patrick (m Jane Forrester 12-4-1615), Thomas, David, and Alexander. Thomas was alive in 1617 (Glasgow Commissariat). PBGR mentions Patrick apprenticed to William Haliburton in Edinburgh (probably son of Patrick and Jane Forrester.) A decree of absolution on record at Holyrood, February 1592, made by the Privy Council in favor of John, Earl of Cassilis, names five Mcllvanes Patrick Mcllvene, elder of Grimmet, John Mcllveanne of Grimmet, younger, John Mcllveanne of Auchenharrie, Gilbert Mcllveane, Flesheur, in Maybole, and David Mcllveane, Flesheur in Maybole. The word 'Flesheur' refers to theretailing of meats, or the flesh of animals for food. Other records indicate Alexander, whose will dated August 1, 1620 made him a resident of Ballantrae.

At Holyrood House, Edinburgh, 22 Feb. 1597, a document was signed by King James VI confirming the lands as follows 'The King as administrator,etc., confirms to one Patrick Mcllivane of Grumet (from whom Isobella Kennedy, his wife, is conveyed a life estate) 2 1/2 measures of land inthe Manor of Lower Grumet and 1/2 measure of land adjacent, called Willistoun (occupied by J.C. McClymouth) according to the old survey also to John Mcllvane his son and heir apparent, and to his male heirs whomsoever, 6 measures of land of Grumet, 6 1/2 measures of land of Lower Grumet, and Attiquin, with their mansions, houses, fisheries and woods in the County of Carrik, called Air, excepting reserving to the said Patrick the free use thereof and may redeem these lands from the said John by paying five pounds at the parish church of Maybole on 40 days warning. Held of Henry I, Lord and Seneschal of Scotland and Earl of Carrick. II

In the Register of Sasines for 1601, Patrick's wife is referred to as 'Isobel Kennedy, Lady Grymett'. This has given rise to all sorts of speculation. Torrence and Allied Families declares that 'Sir Patrick was knighted for bravery on the field of battle'. What battle is not told. It seems much more likely that Isobell brought the title of 'Lady' with her. One source says she was the widow of Kennedy of Knockdon. Since the use of the title after the name denotes a widow, it seems fairly plain that is all it means and had nothing to do with Patrick, no matter how brave he may have been.

These were particularly violent times in the history of Scotland. The Reformation was in full swing, and the religious upheaval is indicated by the following

On May 19, 1553, Hugh and David Kennedy came with 100 followers with jacks, spears, and guns to the Parish Kirk of Kirkoswald and the College Kirk of Maybole, and abused the sacrament of OHaly Kirk', (The elements of the Mass and other sacred items. ) The Earl of Carrick was quick to respond, and a number of persons had to give caution (bond) afterwards to the extent of 3,000 Pounds for their future good Behavior.

At about the same time, one of the Kennedys living at Dunure tried to seize the lands of Crossaugel Abbey. He tried to persuade the person responsible for the deeds to turn them over by slowly roasting him over a fire. He survived the roasting, but did not turn over the deeds.

The Lairds of Grimmet were involved in a particularly bitter feud between the Kennedy Earls of Cassilis
and their cousins, the Kennedy House of Bargany, which reached its most intense fury between 1569 and 1602. It climaxed with the kidnapping of the Countess of Cassilis as she returned to Ayr from a visit in Galloway. She was escorted as she travelled by various members of the family and friends, among whom was John. 'the young Laird of Grimet' .

Pitcairns History of the Kennedys is quoted The Laird of Dramurchie (Thomas Kennedy, brother of the Laird of Bargany) besieged the House of Auchinsull and took prisoners the Countess of Cassilis and the young Laird of Grimak and Quentin Crawford. A fatal encounter took place between the Earl of Cassilis and the Laird of Bargany (Gilbert Kennedy) in which Gilbert Kennedy's 'Horse was slain and the Earl's bridle was shot in two, whereby his horse cast him and struck his arm out of joint. The young Laird of Grimak was stricken through the chin and he and his horse both strucken to the earth. This wound was almost certainly not fatal, as is sometime reported, for John appears in several records after this date.

In 1602, the Register of the Privy Council shows an order by the king for Lady Bargeny to put at liberty Hew, Master of Cassilis, McIlvane youngerof Grumet and others 'lately apprehended by Thomas Kennedy of Drummurchie and his accomplices'. According to Robertson, Thomas Kennedy had taken the prisoners to the family castle and turned them over to the care of his mother, Lady Bargany. Hew Kennedy had been wounded, as well as John McIlvain, and she supplied the nursing.

Later in 1602 the king issued a Decreet of Absolvitor concerning a retaliation by the Earl. 'By the Privy Council in favor of John, Earl of Cassilis and others for 'convocation of his highness O lieges, and bearing and wearing of jacks, steel bonnets, corslets and lances, hackbutts and pistols, breaking of his highness' peace'.' It goes on to say 'That where, upon the elleventh day of December instant, Johnne, Earl of Cassilis, John Corrie of Kelwood, Hew Kennedy of Penqhuirry, John Davidsoun of Penny glen, Oliver Laird of Culleinzie, Patrick Mcilveane, elder of Gremmat, Johne Mcilveane, younger of Gremmat ... Alexander Schaw, tutour of Gremmat to be warned by the laws of this realm and Acts of Parliament come in hostile and warlike manner furth the town of Mayboll, and lay at wait for Gilbert Kennedy of Bargany, his freinds and servants, as they were coming the highway from the burgh of Air towards the said Lard Os own dwelling house, and invaded and persued them of their lives'. There follows a description of the battle, saying that a number of firearms were discharged and a number of Bragany's company were 'hurt and wounded'. And more to the point, Gilbert of Bargany was slain. Again the tone of the complaint was not so much the doing in of Bargany, but it has a rather plaintive ring as it goes on 'they have .broken his highness O peace in that countrey; whereby many inconveniences are like to fall out, to the trouble and disquieting of the whole country, without remedy being provided. ' The Earl of Cassilis and everyone concerned with the fracas were slapped on the wrist and told that, since they admitted to disorderly conduct and promised to keep 'his highness O peace and keeping of good rule and quietnes in the country hereafter, under the pain of rebellion ', no further action would be taken.

Also in 1602, the Privy Council issued bonds which guaranteed that Patrick Mcilvaine of Grumet and his son, John the Younger of Grumet, would not 'intercommune' with Adam Boyd of Pinkhill during his rebellion.

In 1604 bonds were again issued against Patrick and John not to harm James, Earl of Moray, his tutors or curators.

In 1604 there was a summons of treason against Thomas Kennedy of Drummurchie and Walter Mure of Cloncarde for murderous attacks on the Earl of Cassillis who, with John McllVane younger and others, was taken prisoner and incarcerated for 15 days.

Other records of Patrick McIlvane include signing as a witness in a deed, January 4, 1586, an he was a witness to a caution by John Kennedy, 1608.

Patrick died in November 1613. His testament dative (will) is recorded 15 June, 1615.

Patrick married Isobella KENNEDY Lady
A substantial ruin located on the edge of Culzean Country Park, 1¼ miles (2 km) north of Kirkoswald in South Ayrshire, Thomaston Castle comprises a 16th century L-plan tower-house of three storeys. It would originally have had a garret above a corbelled-out parapet. The entrance was in the square stair tower which occupies the re-entrant angle between the two blocks. Recorded as Thomastoun on Johann Blaeu's Atlas of Scotland (1654), this tower-house was built within a 13th C. courtyard castle of some importance, which was said to have been built by Thomas Bruce, a nephew of Robert the Bruce (1274 - 1329). The property passed to the Corry family of Kelwood in 1507, and they built the tower. This includes a vaulted basement which once contained a kitchen and wine cellar. An arched pend through the basement of the SE-facing wing gave access to the former walled courtyard to the south. The hall was on the first floor, with bedrooms on the floor above. Around 1632, the castle passed by marriage to the MacIlvaines (or McElwain) of Grimmet and remained in use until c.1800. The ruins are B-listed and are a scheduled ancient monument.
Origins of the House of Grimmet

The following section deals with specific information concerning the history of our family. We begin with the Coat of Arms, then describe the estates from which the Lairds took their title, and finish with a genealogy of our ancesters to the end of the family in Scotland.
The Coat of Arms Many, in fact most, of the Scottish Coats of Arms were not registered prior to 1673, so it is difficult to ascertain either their antiquity or their exact origin. In that year, Quentin McIlvane, Laird of Grimmet, registered the arms along with many other families under an edict of the Lord Lyon, King at Arms, Edinburgh. This coat of arms may have been granted in 1314, when King Robert the Bruce commended his army before leaving the field at Bannockburn. According to tradition, among the commendations given out was a coat of arms to Nigellus MacGilwyn, who reportedly commanded the supply wagons and rallied the late comers to the battle. The original coat of arms consisted of two covered cups, indicating stewardship of the supply operation. Later a star with a hole in it was added to honor Gilbert MacYlvene, the son of Nigellus, who as Colonel of Horse, led a division of mounted Knights. The star, according to Darrell Iwerks, represented the rowell of the horseman's spur.The covered cups are the same as those on the Stewart and the Butlers of Ireland, and perhaps indicate the stewardship of the King's wines. Some searchers feel that the covered cups are an indication that we are related to Scottish and Irish royalty. O' Hart's Pedigrees uses this common feature to tie our family to the ancient kings of Ireland.

The official listing is as follows:Gules: two covered cups Or: in the middle chief a star argent: above the shield a helmet as befitting his degree.Mantled Gules: double argent.The motto, which was added later, is of uncertain origin: "Deus sibi adjuvanti adjuvat" (God helps those who help themselves). In the language of Heraldry "Gules" represents the colour red. It is usually pure vermillion. In engraving vertical lines are used to indicate gules. "Or" represents the metal gold. It is frequently represented by yellow, a pale yellow ochre being favoured. It is indicated in engraving by small dots. It is sometimes abbreviated 0. "Argent" represents the metal silver. It is usually represented by white, as silver tarnishes. In engraving the surface is left plain.

The Estates

Our family has been primarily associated with three estates (Grimmet, Attiquin, and Thomaston) situated on or near the west coast of Scotland in the district. The entries for the three estates are as follows:1) Attiquin. 1 1/2 mile southeast of Maybole: in Carrick. Gaelic ATADH H-UAIGHEAN. Atadh (p. att-ae) s.m. a swelling, a tumor, a hillock, a mound . H_, Gaelic aspirate before a vowel. Uaigh, pl Uaighan (p uae-an) s.f. graves, tombs, sepulchres. Literally: the burial mounds.2) Grimmet. A farm 1 1/4 miles northeast of Maybole: in Carrick. Gaelic GRIOM AT. Griom, s.m. (ancient gaelic) war, battle. At (p. aet) s.m. ind a swelling, protuberance,prominence, a hillock. Literally: The low hill of battle.3)Thomaston. An ancient, onetime moat surrounded keep or bulwark, 3/4 mile southeast of Culzean Castle: in Carrick. Gaelic TOM AIS TUINN. Tom (p, tom) s.m a round hillock or knoll, any round heap or object. Ais (p. es) s.m. (ancient Gaelic) a hill, a stronghold. Tonn, gen Tuinn (p tuenn) s.m. a wave, surge, splash; any quantity of liquid; water. Literally: The moat surrounded stronghold.

The Reformation

The Reformation of the mid sixteenth century in Scotland is the single greatest influence in the history of the descendants of the House of Grimmet. Without its influence, most of us would probably still be living in Scotland much as our forefathers did, living the "Gude Auld" life of country squires. If there had been no Reformation, there would have been no Scottish plantations in Northern Ireland, and, later, no massive emigration to America. In fact, had there been no Reformation, there probably would not be a United States, since, as one commentator
said at the time of the Revolutionary War remarked, without the resistance of the hard headed Scotch-Irish, the conflict could easily have been resolved.

The Gaelic-Irish Theory

O' Hart claims that the Lairds of Grimmet are descended from Fionn, High Steward of all Ireland under King Cormac, who lived in Ireland about AD 250. His name derives for Maolfina (lover of wine), a brother of Dungal and son of Fingal King of Ireland. His standard bore the two covered cups which were also used by the Lairds of Grimmet, Scotland, a thousand years later when we again pick up the record.Fionn was given lands by the King, one being Maolina Fhfian in Cinsealach, where Limerick in Leicester now stands. He inherited other lands from his mother which he named Almhaine. In Gaelic the combination of the letters "mh" is pronounced as "v" in English, thus making the name Alvaine. O' Hart's says the present name derives from "... the son of Fionn of Alvaine". This could be the correct use of "Mac" as "son of". Men were known by the name of heir lands as well as their given name, a custom still followed in Britain and Europe. The lands of Almhaine were also called Alloway.According to Irish histories, Fionn was the greatest warrior of his time. He was the son of Cuvail and grandson of Trein More, the fourth lineal descendant of Nuagadh Neacht, monarch of all Ireland at one time. His mother was Muchasmb, daughter of Thady, son of Nuatt. Fionn's father was a half brother of Feildhline Reachtmar, another monarch of Ireland.The name is sometimes spelled Maccuvain and members of the family inherited their territory in Morevan, Scotland, from their mother, Muchasmb. Maps of Scotland show a point on the northern part of the Isle of Mull and about a mile from the most southern point in Morevan "Sgeir Mhic Chomain", or sea rock Mac Cuvain.Fionn married twice, both his wives being daughters of King Cormac. His wife, Graine, left him for Diarmum O' Duibline, a lieutenant in Fionn's army. Fionn followed and slew them both. When he returned, he complained to Cormac, who promptly gave him another of his daughters, Princess Ailbhe. It is assumed she behaved satisfactorily for we hear nothing further of her. Fionn had a daughter whose name was Samuir, whom he bestowed on King Cormac.Fionn's clan was called Clana Baoinge, that being the name of his great grandfather. There is a place called Saidhe Fionn, or the place of Fionn, situated at Sliaba na Mban, or the Woman's Mountain.

There is recorded a Battle of Alvaine (also called Garva) in the year 284 AD in which Fionn's grandson, Oscar, son of Oisin, was killed.
The "Story of the Irish Race", by MacMannus, says "....Fergus, first of the Dalriade kings of Scotland, has descendants in Scotland by the names of Magn Giolla Gaghmain, Mac Giolla Lyvain and Magn Eogain." O' Hart's also says "O' Maolfhiona, the once strong castle which stood at Crossnaolfhiona, now the town of Crossmolina on the banks of the Deel, in the barony of Tynawley and County of Mayo, belonged to this family (Mcllvain)".A variation of the Gaelic theory does not try to tie us to these early Irish, but depends on the derivation of our name from Gaelic roots. It then attempts to tie that derivation to early historical events or people. One recent scholar, George F. Black, Ph.D, in his work "The Surnames of Scotland" states that the name was originally Mac Gille Bheathain (Son of the Servant of Saint Bean), which in Gaelic would be pronounced roughly MacIlbain or Mcilvain. Mac in Gaelic is translated as "son", Gille as "servant". There are a host of other literal translations, such as "son of the servant of the fair one", which depend on how you derive the last syllable. Depending on the derivation of the name and its actual meaning, both of which are lost in the mists of time, one can attempt to tie our family to many historical (or mythical) figures.Traditional relationships have been used in the past to try to establish our origins. Our family is listed in many publications as a sept, or subclan, of the Clan MacBean, and through them, of the Clan Chattan. The derivation of MacBean is similar to ours, (without the Gillie) even though no single direct ancestor of both can be proven. In his brief history of the Clan, the Chief of Clan MacBean, Hughston MacBain, states that the Bh in Beathain in old Gaelic has the sound of "V", and the th would be silent, yielding MacVean (pronounced MacVain). He states that some who settled in America spelled the name MacIlvain and Macilveen. Dr. Joseph Bean, the clan genealogist, in a recent conversation acknowledges the ancient relationship, but can offer no documented common ancestor.The traditional genealogy of the Clan Chattan (the Clan of the Cat) traces its origins to the early Catti of Gaul mentioned by the Roman Tacitus (AD 55-117). They were driven from Gaul by the Romans, and settled in Caithness in the Scottish Highlands. McIan's history of the Clans states that the first Chief of the Clan was Gillie Bathan Mor, who lived in the time of Malcolm Canmore (1057). His son was Diarmid, who had a son Muirdoch. Muirdoch is supposed to have been a monk, who, upon the death of his elder brother, received a special dispensation from the Pope to leave religious orders to head the Clan. One of his sons was Eoghan Ban, also known as Ewan or Elwein.

The Norman Theory

Darrel Iwerks, in his recent very well researched history, describes the Norman theory, and the difficulty of proving or disproving our origins, as follows:The earliest ancestors of the McElvains appear in Brittany about 900 A.D. They may have been originally from the British Isles and difficulties with the invading Saxons there, drove them to seek refuge across the English Channel. There they established an area known as Brittany, with close. ancestral ties to their homeland.

Normandy was settled by invading Northmen who came to plunder, but decided to settle, and called it Normandy. The two areas had differences in origin as well as language, and they did not always live at peace with each other unless circumstances gave them common cause.The ancestors of the McElvains were distinguished in many generations by the name"Alan"or "Alanon". This name carried through England, to Scotland became MacIlvain, or MacElvaine, with many other variations.The first Alan on record was Alano I, Count of Vannes, who died 903 A.D. He may have been one of the earliest generation that settled in Brittany. His son, Alano Barbetourte, (Alan II) died 958 A.D. The rulers of both Brittany and Normandy chose to call themselves "Duke" rather than"King". The third generation was Geoffrey, Duke of Brittany, who died 1008. He married Hawise, daughter of Richard I, Duke of Normandy. This marriage began to bring a closer relationship to Brittany and Normandy. Richard I was the grandfather of William the Conqueror.Geoffrey and Hawise had three children: Alan III, Duke of Brittany, who died 1040; Adela, Abbess of St. Georges at Rennes, who died 1067; and Eudon, Count of Brittany, who died 1079. Eudon married Orguent who was living 1056. Alan III married Bertha, daughter of Eudes, Count of Chartres. She died 1040. She was a great- granddaughter of Charlemagne. His ancestral line goes back to 100 B.C. Bertha brought with her the title, Conan I. They had two children: Conan II, Duke of Brittany, who died childless in 1066; and Hawise who married Hoel, Count of Cornouaille, who, after the death of Conan II, became Duke of Brittany. Hawise died 1072, and Hoel, 1084.Hawise and Hoel had one son, Alan IV, Fergant (red hair). Alan IV became Count of Dol and Dinan, until the death of his Father in 1084, when he became Duke of Brittany. He died 13 October 1119.William of Normandy, "the Bastard", now Duke of Normandy, had a claim to the throne of England through his Grandfather, Richard I. The King of England, Edward the Confessor, was aging. He sent Harold to inform William of the situation, so that he would be prepared to assume the Throne. William was suspicious of the designs of Harold, and did all that he could to impress Harold of his ability. The Bayeux Tapestry explains that William, at the head of his army, and with Harold in the Company, invaded Brittany, and put the army of Alan IV to flight. After Harold had returned to England, Alan IV met William again and put William's army to flight.Edward the Confessor, King of England, died early in 1066. The Nobles of England, instead of sending word to William, appointed Harold as King. Harold was very able, but when William heard what had happened, he still insisted on his claim to the English Throne. He gathered an army from Normandy, and Brittany, including Alan Fergant (IV), and the five sons of Eudon, Count of Brittany, and assembling them at the English Channel opposite Hastings, prepared to ferry them across.Harold had been in York suppressing a rebellion of the Danish Settlement there, and was forced to march steadily to meet William at Hastings. The battle was going against William when an arrow struck the opening of the eyepiece of Harold's Helmet, felling him. This took the heart out of the army of Harold, and the fortunes of the battle changed dramatically.Several ancient poems relate the account of the Battle, and the part Alan Fergant played as commander of the leftwing of the army of William.William, now known as "the Conqueror", wasted no time in punishing the barons who had supported Harold. Their lands were confiscated, their titles canceled, and most of them took refuge in monasteries either in England, or in France. William rewarded those who had supported him by giving them vast estates and titles. Brian, Count of Brittany, was rewarded with large holdings in Cornwall, and the title, Earl of Cornwall. Alan Fergant, Count of Brittany, was given large tracts of land in the West Riding of Yorkshire as well as in seven other counties and the title, Earl of Richmond. In the English translation of the Domesday Book, the West Riding is called Count Alan's Land, although some was reserved for the King and other important people.In 1084, Alan Fergant returned to Brittany to assume duties as Duke of Brittany after the death of his Father, Hoel. The title, Lord of Richmond, and the land, passed to his cousin, Alan the Red. Alan the Red died five years later, and with no heir, the title and land passed to Alan the Black. He died in 1093, and the title and land passed to his brother, Stephen, who became Lord of Richmond.Stephen and Hawise had six children: Geoffrey Boterell II who married Hawise. Being a Count of Brittany, he later returned there to assume his duties; Alan the Black, who, on his father's death, became Earl of Richmond.